Equipment used for RetroFreedom.com modwork
I am on Twitter!
% Leah Rowe % Last updated 2019-08-28
Here is the setup that I use for my modwork:
- AOYUE 2703A+ repair station. Has solder (various tips), de-solder, hot air.
- 60/40 solder. I only use high quality solder
- Gel based rosin flux. I much prefer this to liquid flux
- 99 percent IPA (isopropyl alcohol) for cleaning boards, both before and after I work on them
- 30awg stranded wires (if I need thinner wires, I use e.g. 36 awg or I use kynar instead). In cases where I need shielding, I will use mini coax wires, however 30awg stranded usually works well for me. For analog video lines I use 28awg stranded wire, and for power/ground wires I typically use 24awg or thicker wires (whenever practical, otherwise 28 or 30awg)
- A pair of nail clippers, for cutting and stripped wires. This works well enough that I see no need to buy expensive wire strippers.
- Tweezers, especially when working with small surface mount components (in cases where hot air is not practical and I need to use a solder tip)
- Heat-shrink wrap for insulating wires with (e.g. when connecting resistors inside wire runs)
- anti-static mat - both myself and the mat are grounded, to prevent ESD
- microscope, for when checking very small solder connections (actually, it's the camera on my huawei smartphone, and I use the zoom function lol)
- a lamp with high-brightness LED in it, so that I can see what I’m working on + the light on my phone
- I also have various sized resistors and capacitors, and other misc. components
- Recording: for my YouTube videos showing the modwork, I record using the camera on a Huawei P8 Lite 2017 smartphone, which runs the Android OS. A very ghetto setup, to be sure. I have it mounted to a little holder so that I can record a birds-eye view of what I'm doing
The AOYUE station is extremely high-end, imported from the People's Republic of China. I have had this unit for a great many years and it’s very good.
RetroFreedom is a trading name of Minifree Ltd, registered in England. Company number 9361826, VAT registration number GB202190462. Registered business address is: Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA (do not show up in person. This is only shown due to legal requirement that British companies show their company info)
Contact is via email@example.com
Go back to the home page of retrofreedom.com
If you wish to purchase a console, send me a DM on Twitter. My twitter page is here:
https://twitter.com/n4of7. Tell me your name/address and
I'll send you an invoice.